WELCOME TO THE STOURBRIDGE & DISTRICT CRICKET SOCIETY
Stourbridge & District Cricket Society was formed in 1972. The 'District' in the Society's name refers to the various areas in and around Stourbridge, when originally, all local clubs were invited to join as affiliate members. Nowadays the Society welcomes persons from all points of the compass.
Meetings were first held at the Old White Horse Inn, Stourbridge. In 1985 the Society moved to The Bell in the town centre. Meetings now take place in the pavilion of Stourbridge Cricket Club.
Wordsley-born Don Kenyon was our first President. He was succeeded in 1996 by Martin Horton, another former Worcestershire and England player. An excellent picture of both men, setting out to open the batting against the Australians in 1961, was presented by the Society to the Club in 2016. In 2009, Martin resigned due to ill health and was succeeded by former Society chairman, Dave Nicklin.
The Memorial Ground at Amblecote (it was originally in Staffordshire and is now in West Midlands!) was first used as a home venue by Worcestershire in 1905, against Leicestershire who lost by an innings and plenty.
First-class cricket was last played at Stourbridge in 1981, when Northamptonshire were the visitors. The following year saw the last Sunday League match played at the ground against Leicestershire.
Stourbridge retains its annual mention in Wisden as being the venue for Frank Woolley and Arthur Fielder's tenth wicket record partnership for Kent versus Worcestershire in 1909.
The Honours Board, inside the pavilion, lists numerous Worcestershire players who have played for Stourbridge CC, A significant number have played also for their country.
The present pavilion was donated by local benefactor, Ernest Stevens, and was opened in 1929. The Society raises money for Mary Stevens Hospice, once a maternity home, donated by Stevens in his wife's memory.